Dr. Salinas' Weekly Update January 2, 2019
I hope this week’s update finds you and your family rested from the winter break. My best wishes to our students and families in the New Year! As we kick off 2019, our school family remains committed to ensure all students achieve beyond their academic, athletic, and artistic potential. Overall, it is wonderful to see our students back and we’re looking forward to their continued success.
Our school is fortunate to have an extraordinary Senior Class and January is an important time for them and their families. The second semester is the time for seniors to cement their plans for college. One area to focus on is scholarships. As the costs of college continue to rise, finding ways to offset costs is an absolute necessity for all college going families. This week, I would like to share the following site as a resource for researching potential scholarships: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/tools-calculators
For parents of students that took the PSAT this fall, the next few weeks are important to follow up on. Students have received their scores back and may begin to review the information included in the packet they received. With many tools available for students, now is the time to begin prepping for the upcoming SAT. To learn more about how to read score reports, please view: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/scores/student-score-reports
For our amazing students returning next fall and moving up a grade, the course selection process will begin in full these next few weeks. Our goal is to ensure that every student is prepared for college when they graduate. This entails a challenging and rigorous schedule. I ask that all parents begin reviewing the course catalog to start to determine those courses that will provide students with the best foundation for both college and career. The courses serve, along with interests in arts, athletics, and activities, as the road map for college success. The program of studies can be found at: https://www.sewanhakaschools.org/Page/18177
SHS is pleased to welcome Joseph Hutter to the faculty. Mr. Hutter is a new guidance counselor who arrives to us most recently as an Assistant Admissions Director from Hofstra University. He comes with an exceptional resume and is thrilled to be joining the greater school community.
Lastly, please be reminded that our school will be Regents testing January 22 and 23rd. Only students sitting for exams on these two days will be in attendance. Additional updates to come.
Have a great week!
- Alumni Breakfast Our annual Alumni Breakfast is scheduled for Thursday, January 3. Our seniors will listen, learn, and discuss the college experience with some of our most recent graduates. This is always a great experience hosted by our guidance department to give students a first-hand experience of what to expect come September.
- CTE Career Expo Monday January 7 Throughout the day on Monday, January 7 students will learn about the robust career and technical education program available to them at SHS. By learning about programs, students can decide if a program is right for them and work with their guidance counselor to begin the application process.
- Winter Honors Concert Wednesday January 9 at 7:00 pm We’re eager to showcase our musical talent at the Honors Concert next Wednesday and hope you can join us.
- 9th and 10th Grade Parent Night Thursday January 10 at 6:30 pm Parents of current 9th and 10th grade students are strongly encouraged to attend this very important session to learn about making the most of the resources we have to offer and how to properly plan for college.
- Success for Sewanhaka MUN! Led by Mr. Sakowich and Ms. Pantorno the Model UN team enjoyed tremendous success at the NYU Model United Nations Conference. This was the team’s first time attending the EmpireMUN conference. A special congratulation goes out to Nia Stewart Outstanding Delegate for International Court of Justice representing Jamaica, and Nevin Balgobin Honorable Mention Delegate for Italian Mafia representing Frank Sinatra. Sewanhaka MUN is now turning it efforts to preparing for ILMUNC at UPenn.
- Tuesday and Wednesday January 22 and 23 Exam Days Only --- Only students taking Regents exam Tuesday and Wednesday of that week are required to attend school. School resumes for all students Thursday, January 24.
- Khan Academy --- Parents are encouraged to create an account as well on Kahn Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/signup?parent=1&continue=/mission/sat
- Follow Us on Instagram Please go to the ‘Announcement’ pane on our homepage and click on the link to view the many amazing faces of Sewanhaka.
- Harvard’s Writing Center Although affiliated with Harvard College, this site is a great resource for all students in support of writing assignments and tasks: http://writingcenter.fas.harvard.edu/
- Visit the SHS School Store --- Sewanhaka’s school store is located on the third floor near the library. It is open each morning 7:15-7:35 and immediately after school 2:50-3:10. In addition to workbooks, students can purchase binders, Sewanhaka tee shirts, and stylus pens. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Ms. Patricia Deegan, School Store Advisor, at 488-9622 or via email at email@example.com
Chris Salinas, Ed.D.
Principal – Sewanhaka High School
- January 2 - School reopens
- January 3 - Alumni breakfast
- January 7 - CTE career expo
- January 9 - Winter honors concert 7:00 pm
- January 10 - 9th and 10th Grade Parent Night 6:30 pm
Best wishes to our students and families.
As always, this is a newsletter for parents so if there is anything you would like to see, please do not hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great weekend!
Chris Salinas, Ed.D.
Sewanhaka High School