Dr. Salinas' Weekly Update March 15, 2019
Dear Parents and Guardians:
This past weekend, as many of you are aware our girls varsity basketball won the Long Island championship! They now move on to the State Final Four this weekend at Hudson Valley Community College where we will all be behind them cheering them on as they seek a State Title. We’re extremely proud of the entire program and they are looking forward to competing this weekend: http://www.nysphsaa.org/Sports/Basketball-Girls/Brackets
This weekend our school will host the annual Sewanha-Con event. This is a wonderful program for students from across the district and provides students with opportunities to express their strengths in diverse and fascinating ways. Sewanha-Con will be in the library from noon to 4:00 pm.
Heading into the coming week, spring will continue to highlight the many talents of our students. As you will note on the calendar, we will host our NHS induction ceremony, showcase our student artwork at Gallery 77, and a movie night sponsored by our PTSA on Friday. It will be a busy, but meaningful week.
One of the resources our teachers find to be valuable at assisting students better understand content of courses is ‘Crash Course.’ To get to know this site better, please view it at: https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse
As a reminder, please keep up to date with the comings and goings of our students, faculty and staff by checking out our website with links to our Instragram and Twitter pages. https://www.sewanhakaschools.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=17 Have a wonderful weekend!
- NYS ELA Exams for Grades 7 and 8 Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday April 2-4 Students in grades 7 and 8 will be sitting for NYS English exams. Students in grades 9-12 will be on a 2-hour delay and begin school at 9:45 am. Students who ride the bus will be picked up 2-hours after the normally scheduled pick up time. Our faculty frequently reminds students to relax and approach these assessments as a way to show what they have learned. We invite you to reinforce this idea and provide similar encouragement at home.
- SHS PTSA Movie Night is March 22 Please check out our school website for more information
- World Languages Week March 18 – March 22 SHS will be celebrating World Languages Week next week. This year’s theme is “Languages Are The Key to the World.” Please be on the lookout from your son or daughter’s world languages teacher about different activities and events during the week.
- Timothy Yeung Qualifies for New York State Swim and Diving Championships Congratulations to Timothy for this outstanding achievement and competing in the 500 yard freestyle event.
- 7th Grade Students Shine! Congratulations to two of our outstanding students for their success in this year’s General Federation of Women’s Club Cultural Arts Award. Daisha Lespinasse won 3rd Place and Isabelle Protopapas won 1st Place! In addition to her monetary award Isabelle will move on to the State level competition.
- SHS Competing at 2019 Physics Olympics 2019! Best of luck to Ms. Lovett and this year’s team competing next week at SUNY Farmingdale: Patrick Iherjirika, Joshua Gallardo, Sukhriti Kaur, Irvin Ruiz, and Daniella Omotoso.
- National Honor Society Induction is Monday March 18 at 7:00 pm This year’s National Honor Society Induction will be held in the auditorium at 7:00 pm
- Spring Musical is Fast Approaching! “Hairspray” will be performed March 29, 30, and 31 Please join us from one of the three performances Friday at 7:30 pm, Saturday at 7:00 pm, and Sunday at 2:00 pm
- SHS Science Showcase Wednesday March 27 3:00 – 6:00 pm Students will be showcasing their individual and group projects for the greater school community this Wednesday in the auditorium from 3:00 – 6:00 pm. To see amazing efforts at STEM based real-world projects, please stop by and join us.
- RaiseMe Parents and students should take a moment to view this site that offers scholarships to students for taking steps to complete the college application and admission process: https://www.raise.me/
- Regents Review Schedule for Social Studies Please view the schedule of review sessions for US History and Global History at: https://www.sewanhakaschools.org/Page/23467
- Purchase Your 2019 UNITY Day T-Shirt in the AP Office UNITY day will be May 23 and T-Shirts will be on sale in the AP office. To view a sample please visit the parent letters page at https://www.sewanhakaschools.org/Page/23467
- CollegeWeek Live Please take a moment to visit this site to receive expert advice on getting into the college your son or daughter aspires to: https://www.collegeweeklive.com/
- NHS and NJHS Induction Ceremony Tuesday, April 10 --- Congratulations to the students and families that will be inducted at the NHS induction ceremony Tuesday, April 10 at 7:00 pm in the auditorium.
- Math, Science and Social Studies Review Courses Running--- All students sitting for a Regents exam should plan on attending after school review sessions. Each department chairperson, Ms. Aiello (Math), Ms. Reece (Science), and Mr. Schwartz (Social Studies) have posted schedules for extra help sessions. Please encourage your son or daughter to attend.
- February Students of the Month --- Congratulations to the following students selected as the February Students of the Month: Cassandra Persaud (Art), Palaknoor Kaur (Business), Ricky Mathew (CTE), Amanda Desire (ELA), Hamna Umar (ELA), Jocelyn Toscano (Math), Christopher Ferrara (Math) Nicole Politano (Music), Blanca Castillo (PE/Health), Insiya Sulemanji (Science), Matthew Abrego (Social Studies), and Mia Banks (World Languages).
- Social Workers --- You may know that our school is fortunate to have social workers on staff. These individuals help meet the children’s emotional, developmental, and educational needs. Our social workers provide a range of services to students, families, and school faculty in support of the children’s needs. Services may include connection with community services, mental health services, crisis interventions, social skill development, and working with families, school staff, and students. If you would like to contact a social worker and learn of the resources and services available to you, please contact our guidance department. We are fortunate to have these services available to us!
Chris Salinas, Ed.D.
Principal – Sewanhaka High School
- March 18 - National Honor Society Induction
- March 21 - Gallery 77
Best wishes to our students and families.
As always, this is a newsletter for parents so if there is anything you would like to see, please do not hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a successful week!
Chris Salinas, Ed.D.
Sewanhaka High School