Dear Parents/Guardians and Students:
On Thursday, September 2, 2021, Elmont Memorial High School will open its doors for the first time to the Class of 2027 and welcome back the rest of the student body.
The start of the school year is always an exciting time. Over the last year and a half, our team rose to the occasion in extraordinary fashion and we will again rise to the occasion and provide our scholars with the best education possible. Everyone in our school community has faced increased levels of stress, uncertainty and grief in the wake of the pandemic. However, as a community, it is our duty to provide a sense of humanity, comfort, connection, and normalcy to help usher all of our members through these difficult times.
The new school year is filled with a sense of purpose, hope, and possibility that each September brings. Our scholars need us now more than ever and I look forward to embarking on this journey with our extraordinary community and team of educators. We must continue to challenge ourselves to grow and find new ways to engage our scholars, make them feel safe, and push them to reach their full potential. The work is never easy, but we are here to support one another and help make sure that we are all safe and successful this school year.
Despite the challenges of the pandemic, last year we ended the school term on a very successful note. The Class of 2021 will be attending Columbia University, Howard University, New York University, Cornell University, the McCauley Honors Program at Queens College, and many more of the most prestigious universities in the country. Of the 99% of our seniors graduating, 96% have earned Regents diplomas, and over 94% of them will go on to college. Additionally, last year’s senior class was awarded more than $7,000,000 in scholarship money. Certainly, these facts are evidence that Elmont Memorial continues its rich tradition of academic excellence.
As we continue our efforts on behalf of your child, it is most important that you understand how much we value and appreciate your support. You can continue to assist the school in its mission by supporting all of our efforts at home. Successful students consistently demonstrate the qualities of punctuality, preparedness, participation, perseverance and respect in pursuing their goals. Therefore, I am requesting that you review the following pointers with your child:
- Students MUST arrive at school and class on-time. Please stress the importance of arriving at all classes before the bell rings. SCHOOL BEGINS AT 8:00 a.m. Students having a first period class should be at school by 7:45 a.m. Students who begin with second period should be in school by 8:30 a.m. All students must enter the school through the main entrance.
- All students are required to wear their school issued ID card around their necks. We have Elmont Memorial High School lanyards available for purchase in the school store.
- Check that your child has all the tools needed to learn. Unless thoroughly prepared, your child cannot actively participate in the educational process. Check your child's homework on their iPad every day.
- Encourage your child to join one of the 100 clubs, teams, and activities we offer. The most successful students in college are those who participate in a variety of activities during their high school career. Our Activities Fair, which will give all of our students an opportunity to join our clubs and teams, will be held on Tuesday, September 14, 2021 @ 3 p.m in the Jr. and Sr. High Cafeteria. Additionally, pleasedemonstrate your support of the school by attending school functions such as meetings, concerts, and plays.
- Lastly, encourage your child to persevere when encountering an obstacle. We have many support services for students who are in need of academic help, guidance support, or any other assistance. Seeking that assistance will not only guarantee their success, but it will teach them a valuable lesson for life.
I encourage all of our parents to join the PTSA and Spartan Club and attend the meetings. Your input into the school is vital to your child's education. Our first meeting will be on Tuesday, September 28, 2021 @ 7:30 pm the Senior Cafeteria.Our first meeting will be on Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 7:30 p.m. in the Senior Cafeteria.
Please review the enclosures with your child. They contain important information which will assist you and your child to have a successful opening of the school year. An additional note, the school calendar and physical forms are available online.
I look forward to a successful school year rich with educational experiences and outstanding achievements for your children. We will continue to provide the best education possible to a most wonderful community of students and parents.